There were a few main parts to this project:
- Type & Print the Poem- they learned a few new formatting skills, such as center align, and this was their typing practice as well. They then got to cut out their poem and put it on a piece of card stock and make it in any shaped they wanted. I told them they are all unique, so these should be as well!
- Measure Stations- There were students manning the stations and they were in complete control. Sorry parents if your child's ribbon is a tad off in their heights :)... Anyways, in one group there was a recorder whose job was to document all heights. There was another in charge of the actual measuring of each student. These jobs were very important and they took them very seriously! The other measure station was to take their number (height) and cut the yard to that height so we had a physical representation of their height to attach to the poem.
- Excel- The last part of the project was to have the students create a very basic spreadsheet with all their classmates names and heights. They were asked to independently work and type each name and height. They were asked to try their best to spell the names correctly. The almost final step was to create a very basic graph to illustrate the heights of all students in the class. We went over step by step several times. Finally, they needed to change the orientation to Landscape (so we talked a little about landscape and portrait) and print.
The results were super cute and as a mom myself, I would love to have this come home with my kids! A little keepsake. Here are some pictures of our project.
( I found the poem via Pinterest...here is link to photo that was uploaded by user: Poem Link)